This type of work involves the performance of semi-routine and diversified duties in connection with repairs to and maintenance of buildings and grounds requiring many skills found at the journeyman level such as carpentry for woodwork repairs, minor plumbing repairs, electrical and painting work. An incumbent is expected to have knowledge of and manual skills in repairing such items as plumbing and heating valves and pipes, electrical switches, stoves, and refrigerators; windows, doors, and other wood materials, mechanical equipment (e.g., snow, heat, cold, duct, and dirt).
Major Duties and Responsibilities
· Independently performs a wide range of building and grounds repairs and maintenance functions, calling for physical exertion frequently.
· Prioritizes maintenance mechanic work orders request to ensure prompt action, courteous service and quality workmanship.
· Routine work orders completed with 20 days or less.
· Vacant unit turnaround time completely in a timely manner.
· Repairs plumbing fixtures and pipes such as toilets, sinks, drains, valves, and controls.
· Digs ditches and holes to uncover leaks and once found, repairs leaks to pipes and valves.
· Repairs burner control and switches, and rewires electric ranges, and performs minor electrical work on refrigerators.
· Repairs or replaces electrical switches, outlets, lighting fixtures, circuit breakers, fuses, etc.
· Repairs windows, doors, doorframes, locks, and mailboxes.
· Repairs alarm systems including controls.
· Repairs mechanical equipment, such as snow blowers, power mowers, hedge clippers, and other pieces generally used by the maintenance force.
· Checks condition of boiler rooms, blows down boilers, and makes repairs to oil pumps and valves; generally maintains condition of boiler room in satisfactory condition.
· Orders materials, supplies, and equipment for own purposes and for others working on team, and may lift heavy objects into place.
· Inspects apartments for maintenance work to be done, usually as a result of a tenant request or work order.
· Plans and carries out preventative maintenance and regular repair program for buildings and fixtures and other PHA property.
· Uses a wide range of hand tools and equipment such as drills, hammers, pliers, electrical testers, hand and power saws, cutters, plungers, threads, wire brushes, etc.
· Performs a number of grounds keeping tasks: trimming, mowing, and planting.
· Performs other related duties as required.
· Integrity and Trust ? Show consistency between words and actions. Protect confidential and sensitive information.
Effectively handles emotions, including anger and frustration.
· Ethics and Values? Engages in open and honest dialogue with others.
Treat all individuals (residents, staff and guest) respectfully, professionally and fairly.
· Customer and Team Focus? Establish and maintains effective customer relationships. Demonstrates effective customer relationships.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Working knowledge of and skill in applying knowledge in plumbing, electricity, heating, carpentry, painting, and mechanical equipment.
· Ability to read blue prints, drawings, and technical documents.
· Ability to perform complicated building maintenance tasks of varying difficulty independently.
· Knowledge of tools and methods to be used in a wide range of building maintenance work.
· Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety measures.
· Ability to direct the work of others, such as laborers and aides.
· Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
· Ability to maintain acceptable working relationships with co-workers.
· Ability to work in hazardous and adverse conditions, such as sleet, snow, heat, cold, dust, and dirt, as well as cramped quarters and high places.
· Ability to lift heavy objects into and out of trucks, and other carriers.
· Ability to operate motor vehicles, both automatic and straight shift.
Education and Experience
· Graduated from high school or vocational school.
· Possession of a valid Class I Motor Vehicle?s Operator?s License.
· $17.00 per hour.
Resumes may be emailed to email@example.com, or qualified applicants may apply in person at 326 West 9th Street, Rome, GA 30165, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. EOE.