The purpose of this classification is to provide and maintain security, safety, care and control of inmates, detention facility, and facility equipment.
• Supervises and controls inmates within institution.
• Maintains security of institution and grounds, including observing and searching for contraband.
• Supervises inmate activities.
• Assists in dispensing medication to inmates.
• Settles disputes between inmates.
• Assists in inmate counts.
• Checks doors for security; inspects for unusual, illegal, or unsafe activity and emergencies.
• Conducts shakedowns to seize contraband material and weapons.
• Assists in processing inmates in and out.
• Directs work of trustees; operates lock systems.
• Takes custody of new inmate arrivals, escorts inmates to various parts of the jail facility, conducts GCIC/NCIC check on arrestee, inputs data and retrieves intelligence information from the computer system.
• Insures each inmate has appropriate bedding, linen, personal hygiene items, food, and sanitation items.
High School Diploma or equivalent. Must possess a valid driver's license, be at least 18 years of age, no state or federal convictions punishable by imprisonment in federal or state prisons, and no misdemeanor convictions sufficient to establish a pattern of disregard for the law. Must have no convictions of Family Violence Crimes. Must attain and maintain P.O.S.T. Basic Jail Officer Certification within six (6) months of hire.