DETAIL OFFICER - PUBLIC WORKS
The purpose of this classification is to perform security/manual work functions associated with overseeing the safety and security of inmates assigned to work detail involving road, roadside, and bridge construction, maintenance, and repair.
• Supervises, directs, and guards inmates on assigned work details; monitors activities and behavior of inmates.
• Maintains inmate discipline; enforces established correctional facility rules and regulations.
• Conducts head-counts of inmates; searches inmates, vehicles, and grounds to locate/remove contraband or weapons.
• Performs tasks involving road, bridge, and roadside construction and maintenance.
• Determines and procures appropriate materials, tools, equipment, and machinery for work projects.
• Determines best match of duties to each inmate; instructs inmates on proper work techniques; monitors status of work in progress; inspects completed projects; releases inmates back to correctional facility upon completion of work detail.
• Ensures safety and security of work area.
High School Diploma or equivalent and two (2) years of experience in road construction/maintenance, equipment operation or related field; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. Must possess a valid Driver’s License. Must possess and maintain a valid Basic Corrections Officer Training (BCOT) Certification within six (6) months of hire.