Instructor/Assistant Professor - English
Instructor/Assistant Professor - English
Job ID: 261360
Location: GHC - Floyd Campus
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Georgia Highlands College is a multi-campus, state college member of the University System of Georgia. Founded in 1970 as Floyd Junior College, it now serves more than 6,000 students in Northwest Georgia and Northeast Alabama across its five locations in Rome, Cartersville, Marietta, and Dallas. GHC currently offers over 30 areas of study with associate degree and bachelor's degree options both in the classroom and online.
We are a growing and progressive institution with opportunities for great employees to grow in a fast-paced and challenging work environment that encourages employee wellness and overall success. Our combined efforts at GHC have led to numerous awards, honors, and countless stories of success for students and employees. This includes our most recent honor of being recognized as one of the semifinalists for the 2023 Aspen Prize for Community College Excellence.
This position will have a home campus on one of our four sites, with some travel required as dictated by scheduling needs.
This is a faculty position in a multi-site college in the University System of Georgia. This position is regular full-time, tenure-track, and benefits eligible. The faculty member's primary responsibilities are preparing for and delivering excellent instruction as well as providing academic advising and service to the college. This position reports to the Division Chair in the School of Humanities.
• Teaches 30 credit hours or equivalent per year as assigned (day, evening or weekend) at one or more of the Georgia Highlands College locations and/or online. Dual Enrollment and studio classes may require additional locations. Location is subject to change as needed.
• Adopts and implements common course objectives as required by the division and discipline
• Manages courses through systematic use of appropriate syllabi and accurate professional records of students' class performance, attendance and grades
• Announces and keeps regular office hours, dedicating 8 hours (or more) per week to assisting students
• Maintains involved and knowledgeable participation in academic advising of students as required by division
• Offers professional assistance in curriculum development, review, and instructional materials selection
• Participates in the extended work of the college through participation in committees of the college or faculty, student organizations, and attends division meetings, full faculty meetings, town hall meetings, in-service training, and graduation
• Engages in functions of evidence-based academic and program assessment, as required for accreditation, college compliance, and continuous review and improvement of student learning outcomes
• Demonstrates meaningful service to the college, community and profession
• Pursues continued professional development in academic discipline, technological applications for the classroom, and innovations and enhancement in teaching and learning
• Performs related duties
• Master's degree in English, Professional Writing, or a course of study related to these pathways, with 18 graduate-level hours in the teaching discipline.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Technology skills appropriate to the job duties
• Online teaching experience
• Two or more years of full-time teaching experience
• Experience serving in a college or university Writing Center
• Understanding of online teaching pedagogy
10 month Full Time position
Required Documents to Attach
Unofficial Transcripts for applications. Official transcripts will be required if hired.
Apply Before Date
Applications will be accepted until filled.
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact Human Resources by email at mailto: firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=Job%20Opening%20Questions
For technical support, please contact the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or mailto: email@example.com?subject=Job%20Opening%20Questions
Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Highlands College, as determined by Georgia Highlands College in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Highlands College provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4422826
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.