Academic Advisor - Marietta Site
Academic Advisor - Marietta Site
Job ID: 260427
Location: GHC - Marietta Instr. Site
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Georgia Highlands College is a multi-campus, state college member of the University System of Georgia. Founded in 1970 as Floyd Junior College, it now serves more than 6,000 students in Northwest Georgia and Northeast Alabama across its five locations in Rome, Cartersville, Marietta, and Dallas. GHC currently offers over 30 areas of study with associate degree and bachelor's degree options both in the classroom and online.
We are a growing and progressive institution with opportunities for great employees to grow in a fast-paced and challenging work environment that encourages employee wellness and overall success. Our combined efforts at GHC have led to numerous awards, honors, and countless stories of success for students and employees. This includes our most recent honor of being recognized as one of the semifinalists for the 2023 Aspen Prize for Community College Excellence.
This position is responsible for providing accurate advising information to Georgia Highlands students at multiple campuses.
• Provides high quality advising to current Georgia Highlands College students
• Develops multi-semester degree planning following curriculum guidelines; aligns students' academic interests and aptitudes with appropriate professional goals
• Develops partnerships with other academic departments
• Connects students with appropriate academic and non-academic student services that promote their success
• Maintains thorough and accurate documentation of individual advising sessions
• Registers students with academic holds, those who experience computer generated prerequisite blocks, those approved for overrides, and those who are unsure or unclear about their registration skills; preregisters students for their first term at GHC
• Attends new student orientations
• Attends training and meetings
• Travels to other campuses to assist with advising and orientation
• Serves on committees as requested
• Performs related duties
• Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field.
• Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
• Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license for the type of vehicle or equipment operated
Required Documents to Attach
• Cover Letter
• Unofficial transcripts if applicable
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Knowledge of BANNER advising/registration system
• Knowledge of Board of Regents policies
• Knowledge of University System of Georgia policies
• Knowledge of student support services
• Knowledge of general financial aid rules
• Knowledge of general transfer policies
• Knowledge of degree audit programs
• Knowledge of online programs and best practices in distance education
• Skill in the provision of advising to potential and current students
• Skill in the analysis of problems and the development and implementation of solutions
• Skill in oral and written communication
Apply Before Date
Application deadline: July 31, 2023, or until filled.
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact Human Resources by email at mailto: email@example.com?subject=Job%20Opening%20Questions.
For technical support, please contact the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or mailto: firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=Job%20Opening%20Questions.
Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Highlands College, as determined by Georgia Highlands College in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Highlands College provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4355650
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.